This recipe answers the question: how do I make low carb queso when I don’t have Velveeta or don’t want to use it?
Recipe serves 2 to 3 people.
- 4 ounces of heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces of shredded cheese
- 4 ounces of canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Drain your canned diced tomatoes & green chilies. Set aside 4 oz.
- In non-stick skillet, heat 4 oz of heavy whipping cream on Medium til boiling.
- Stir in 4 oz of shredded cheese until it’s fully melted.
- Sprinkle in your diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Serve with pork rinds, sliced bell peppers, or celery sticks. If you’re not serving immediately, transfer to a slow cooker on Warm setting.
The heavy whipping cream can be tough to spot at times. It usually sits next to the milk or sour cream.
Any bag of shredded cheese should work though I used Monterrey Jack for this recipe.
You can get any brand of canned diced tomatoes and green chilies. I like Rotel.
Thanks to Matt and Megha at KetoConnect for their Easy Queso Dip recipe which inspired me to create this minimalist version. Matt and Megha are playing the keto recipe game on an incredibly high level and deserve your attention.
aka “Mr. SkinnyPants”
PS. If you want more minimalist low carb / keto recipes like this, you can get 1 per week via email here.