Learn which Jimmy John’s Unwich has the fewest carbs.
See photos of my real-life Jimmy John’s Unwich orders.
What to order
Jimmy John’s has a location about 2 miles from my house and I wouldn’t mind having one next door. This is the only fast food chain that has a low carb option featured prominently on the menu – the Jimmy John’s Unwich. Bravo!
I’ve listed my favorites below.
1. Italian Night Club Unwich (Lettuce Wrapped)
Comes with salami, ham, capicola, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo and vinaigrette wrapped tightly in lettuce. This is my favorite of the Giant Club Unwiches at Jimmy John’s. I took pictures of it wrapped and unwrapped.
- Price: $6.79
- Macros: 589 calories, 4g net carbs, and 29g protein.
2. The J.J. Gargantuan Unwich (Lettuce Wrapped)
This is the Unwich I order when I have a big appetite. Comes with salami, ham, capicola, roast beef, turkey & provolone, along with onions, mayo, lettuce, tomato, and Italian dressing.
- Price: $8.49
- Macros: 705 calories, 9g net carbs, and 64g protein.
3. Gourmet Smoked Ham Club Unwich (Lettuce Wrapped)
Another great selection. Comes with double ham (1/4 lb), provolone, lettuce, tomato & mayo. I go with the Gourmet Smoked Ham Club when I’m not in the mood for an Italian-style sandwich.
- Price: $6.49
- Macros: 415 calories, 6g net carbs, 28g protein.
4. Slim Tuna Salad Unwich & Slim Salami Unwich Combo.
Determined to get full on Jimmy John’s for less than $10? Order multiple Slim Unwiches. Slims cost $3.99 and come with meat, cheese, and lettuce only. They won’t add veggies or condiments to the Slims because of the low price. However, they will give you a few extra Hellman’s mayo packets that you can use for flavor and additional calories (90 calories and 0 net carbs per packet).
- Price: $3.99 per slim unwich
- Macros Slim Tuna Salad Unwich – 425 calories, 3g net carbs, and 25g protein.
- Macros Slim Salami Unwich – 264 calories, 2g net carbs, 19g protein.
Both of these Slim Unwiches are delicious and surprisingly filling. It gets a little messy trying to squirt the mayo on while eating but the added flavor and calories are worth it.
5. J.J. B.L.T. Unwich (THE LOWEST CARB UNWICH)
Comes with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo. It ties for lowest carb Unwich at 1g net carbs with the Big John (roast beef), but I prefer bacon to roast beef so it gets the nod on my list.
- Price: $5.55
- Macros: 315 calories, 1g net carbs, 12g protein.
6. Beach Club Unwich
Comes with sliced turkey breast, avocado spread, cucumber, cheese, lettuce, tomato & mayo. I like to get this during the summer month’s when I want something that tastes cool and refreshing.
- Price: $6.49
- Macros: 465 calories, 6 net carbs, and 30g protein.
7. Club Tuna Unwich
Comes with tuna salad, provolone, cucumber, lettuce & tomato. It’s a perfect change of pace order, especially if you’re abstaining from meat. It’s also good for post-workout meals has it has 51 grams of protein.
- Price: $6.49
- Macros: 655 calories, 7 net carbs, and 51g protein.
About the Jimmy John’s Low Carb Menu
There are 25 different Unwiches you can order at Jimmy John’s. All are listed on the in-store menus so I won’t belabor them here.
The menu is divided into Six Slims (meat & cheese only), Seven 8″ Subs (meat, cheese veggies & condiments), 11 Giants Clubs (more meat & cheese than the 8″ subs), and 1 JJ Gargantuan which has tons of meat & cheese and offers 739 calories at 9 net carbs.
There’s even a low carb Vegetarian Unwich on the menu.
It’s the same low carb menu I used to plan my order before going to Jimmy John’s.
Unfortunately, Jimmy John’s won’t serve their sandwich ingredients in bowls, but Subway has you covered if that’s what you’re into.
Jimmy Johns Nutritional Facts
The the Jimmy Johns nutritional menu is a great guide to everything on their menu. It breaks down the bread/unwich (if you have a weak moment) as well as the nutritional facts for everything else they serve.
It’s fun to see how many calories you save by not ordering the bread. It ranges from 36% to a whopping 85% reduction in calories reduction in calories. Had I know that year’s ago I might not have been addicted to their bread no matter how “freaky fast or freaky fresh” it is.
What to avoid
You should avoid all of Jimmy John’s breads, chips, and cookies. Even the deceptively-named Jimmy John’s “Thinny Chips” have 16 net carbs.
I rate Jimmy John’s as low carb heavenly because they’ve actually given thought to accommodating low carb eaters by including lettuce-wrapped “Unwiches” on the menu. Lots of places will accommodate a lettuce-wrapped order, but few give it menu space and clever branding.
- Low carb friendly – Yes.
- Low carb entrees on menu – Yes. They have about 25 different Unwich options where the ingredients are pre-determined. You can also build your own.
- Satiety of low carb entrees – Below Average. Depending on the sandwich(es) you select, you could be left hungry. I address this in the “What you should order” section.
- Taste of low carb entrees – Excellent. The Unwich ingredients taste fresh and are expertly lettuce-wrapped to hold tight.
- Price / value of low carb entrees – Below Average. I paid $19.47 for three Unwiches for my first order. After some menu research, I figured out how to order two filling Slim Unwiches for less than $10.
- Ordering experience – Above Average. Because the Unwich is a recognized menu item, it’s no hassle to order a lettuce-wrapped sandwich.
My next low carb fast food guide will be finished soon.
Subscribe here to get it:
Follow my Fast Food Challenge
Get my specific LOW CARB RECOMMENDATIONS for top Fast Food Chains like, McDonald's, Subway, or Chick Fil A, etc. (1 new chain per week)
I’ll also report back with final results for how this fast food experiment affects my health, well-being, and bank account. And you’ll get some simple low carb recipes and other tips from me for all the times you’re not eating in a fast food joint.
aka “Mr. SkinnyPants”