Make a low carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole from scratch!!
With approximately 3 net carbs and 590 calories per serving, it definitely qualifies as a Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole. You might also call this a low carb quiche because the casserole filling is made with eggs and heavy whipping cream.
See real-life photos of the ingredients, prep, and full cooking process below.
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Ingredients
Makes 8 servings, so you can share with your friends!
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1.5lb steak, trimmed and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp salt & 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1/2 white onion, sliced into strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 eggs
- 15 slices provolone cheese
- Optional garnish: 1 bunch green onions, diced
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoon
- Small measuring cup
- Large measuring cup or mixing bowl
- 7 dishes for holding prepped ingredients
- Cast iron skillet, 12″ width or larger
- Wooden spoon
- Thinly slice green peppers then halve them into 1″ inch strips. Repeat for onion.
- Mince your garlic.
- Optionally, dice your green onions for garnish.
- Trim the fat off your steak and finely slice it into strips.
- In large mixing bowl combine your eggs and heavy whipping cream and fork-whisk them until frothy.
- Measure out your salt, pepper, and oil. Set aside all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in skillet on High heat for 2-5 minutes until it shimmers and pops.
- Add your steak and sear for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook another 1-2 minutes until they soften.
- Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat.
- Stir in your egg and cream mixture.
- Cover with provolone cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Optionally, you can garnish the casserole with green onions before serving.
- Thin steaks 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick are best. Ribeye or sirloin cuts work well.
- Get medium to high heat tolerant oil. I used safflower oil because it was on sale.
- Heavy whipping cream is typically hiding near the milk somewhere.
- Save time with pre-minced garlic and/or pre-sliced peppers and onions.
I created this recipe after seeing a viral video of philly cheesesteak lasagna and wanted to invent a low carb version.
This casserole is the first step on that mission. I started by researching these low carb philly cheesesteak casserole recipes from Grassfed Mama and Diet Doctor but they don’t hold their shape out of the pan.
So then I reviewed this keto quiche recipe from Kim at Low Carb Maven and tried to integrate some of her techniques to get my casserole to hold it’s shape.
Hope it works for you too.
PS. If you want more of my minimalist keto recipes, you can get 1 new recipe per week via email here.