My wife wanted us to keep the muffin pan after switching to low carb; so here’s how I put it to good use! Ham, egg, and cheese breakfast cupcakes, were the perfect thing.
This got my 2-year-old son re-interested in eating eggs after a bit of a hiatus.
Recipe is low carb and keto friendly. Serves 2 to 3.
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices of ham
- 4 ounces of shredded cheese
- 4 ounces of olive oil
- Optional: black pepper, dried parsley, diced green onion (sauteed)
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease your muffin pan cups with olive oil.
- Place a slice of ham in each cup and press to edges of cup.
- Add a pinch of cheese to each cup. Then crack an egg right into each cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until egg whites appear firm.
- Sprinkle on pepper, parsley, and sauteed green onion, then use a dinner fork to gently pry your cupcakes out of the tin and serve.
I bought sandwich meat-style sliced ham and it worked well. Sliced bologna also works well, surprisingly.
Any fresh eggs, green onions, and shredded cheese should work though I used Cheddar Jack for this recipe.
You can get any brand or style of olive oil, black pepper, and dried parsley.
Thanks to Angela Brown at Cooktop Cove for her original recipe which inspired me to create this slightly modified version.
PS. If you want more minimalist low carb / keto recipes like this, you can get 1 per week via email