In this post, you’ll learn how to quickly and confidently order low carb at Jack In The Box.
Read below to get my 112 item Jack In The Box low carb menu for free. It’s a great resource for anyone who wants to eat low carb, keto, Atkins, low sugar, or diabetic friendly at Jack In The Box.
Follow my mission to order low carb at the top 30 fast food chains in the US. For each fast food restaurant I’m evaluating:
- Availability of low carb entrees (less than 20 net carbs).
- Satiety of low carb entrees.
- Price of low carb entrees.
- Taste of low carb entrees.
- Ordering experience.
Download My Personal Jack In The box Menu
I used to eat a lot of late night Jack In The Box college. It was $2 for tacos. Since I’ve gone low carb, I haven’t seen a need to go back and I’m confused on how they differentiate themselves from market leaders like McDonald’s and Wendy’s.
Do they just advertise a little differently or do they have some actual menu items that stand out.
Let’s pry open the box and have a look.
My Low Carb Choices at Jack in the Box
Like many of the restaurants on my Fast Food Challenge, Jack in The Box is low carb friendly because you can get bunless burgers, bunless grilled chicken sandwiches, bunless breakfast sandwiches, and grilled chicken salads that fit within the macros of a low carb or keto diet.
- Low carb friendly – Yes.
- Low carb entrees on menu – Yes. They have a Grilled Chicken Club Salad on the menu that’s 360 calories and 8 net carbs.
- Satiety of low carb entrees – Above average.
- Taste of low carb entrees – Above Average. Their Double Jack burger was remarkable. The grilled chicken club salad was really good. The Bacon Swiss Burger was a little odd, but generally tasty.
- Price / value of low carb entrees – Average.
- Bacon & Swiss Buttery Jack – $5.19 for about 690 calories.
- Double Jack – $5.49 for about 660 calories.
- Grilled Chicken Club Salad – $6.19 for 360 calories.
- Extreme Sausage Sandwich – $3.29
- Loaded Breakfast Sandwich – $3.69
- Meat Lovers Breakfast Burrito – $3.39
- Ordering experience – Average. The drive-thru attendant was friendly but the order confirmation screen was unreadable due to some moisture seeping in. I didn’t get a receipt my second time into Jack In The Box and that made it difficult to get the prices for my price / value assessment. They don’t answer the phones when you call.
Overall my Jack In The Box experience was good, but I can’t find anything that they’re doing so exceptionally well so as to merit a special trip versus just going to your nearest McDonald’s or Wendy’s.
What I ordered
My first time into Jack In The Box I got three different lunch entrees. I wanted to test a specialty burger, a cheeseburger and a chicken salad. I also went back to get some breakfast entrees.
#1 Bunless Bacon & Swiss Buttery Jack
During this low carb fast food challenge I try to make sure I order an entree that each restaurant is proud of:
- What entrees are they promoting?
- What’s featured prominently on the website?
- What has special branding attached to it?
At Jack In The Box it’s the Buttery Jack. I ordered their bunless Bacon & Swiss Buttery Jack which has a quarter pound beef patty, garlic herb butter, bacon, Swiss cheese, and bacon mayo.
- Price – $5.19
- Nutrition – 690 calories and 0 net carbs
- Taste – Average.
- Notes -The patty was grilled and tender. Firmer than a low carb McDonald’s burger, but not too dry. I liked that the bacon wasn’t overcooked. Most fast food places fry the bacon to a dry crisp.
The combination of the butter and mayo gives this bunless burger a unique flavor which is why I tried it instead of the bacon ultimate cheeseburger no bun order I was considering. After my palate adjusted, I enjoyed it. On it’s own, this burger may have been too small to feel like a full meal, so ask for a double patty if you’re planning to eat it solo.
Luckily I had two more entrees to eat.
#2 Bunless Double Jack
I always try a bunless double cheeseburger at a fast food place because they are typically filling and a good value. My Jack In The Box no bun Double Jack burger tasted great and photographed perfectly on the floor.
- Price – $5.49
- Nutrition – 660 calories and 2 net carbs
- Taste – Well Above Average. This was the best of my three low carb lunch entrees.
- Notes – Impressive. Veggies tasted super fresh and weren’t leaking moisture everywhere. Patties were grilled to perfection.
The Double Jack is a keto friendly Jack In The Box order that eats clean and tastes amazing.
#3 Grilled Chicken Club Salad
I don’t like ordering grilled chicken while on a low carb diet because it’s light on calories and flavor. However, chickn club salads with bacon and ranch can be alright because those two ingredients add calories and decadence. This is great except when they forget the bacon and you don’t notice until you get home:
- Price – $6.19
- Nutrition – 360 calories and 8 net carbs
- Taste – Above Average. But they forgot the bacon…doh!
- Notes – Chicken was tender and flavorful. Veggie ingredients were fresh and crisp. I skipped the Jack In the Box ranch dressing and added my own Italian dressing (1 net carb). Did I mention they forgot the bacon?
On the whole, the Grilled Chicken Club presented nicely and tasted great even without the bacon. It was a nice surprise for a low carb chicken salad that I’d normally avoid.
For next trip I wanted to master the perfect Jack In The Box keto breakfast order so I got three different entrees.
#4 Extreme Sausage Sandwich (No Bun)
The Extreme Sausage Sandwich comes with two sausage patties, American cheese, and a fried egg patty. I guess they call it ‘Extreme’ because it has two sausage patties. We keto people call this normal. In any case, I like it.
- Price – $3.29
- Nutrition – About 490 calories and 0 net carbs.
- Taste – Well Above Average.
- Notes – No frills. Easy to eat. Very filling. Not messy. Tastes great. On par with the low carb breakfast offerings from McDonald’s. This to me is the perfect keto breakfast order.
#5 Loaded Breakfast Sandwich (No Bun)
This is the perfect low carb breakfast sandwich for someone who likes a variety of meats. It has a fried egg, bacon, ham, sausage, and melted American cheese.
- Price – $3.69
- Nutrition – About 540 calories and 4 net carbs.
- Taste – Above Average.
- Notes – Eats surprisingly clean. Presents well once you take it out of the container. It’s good, but not as good as the Extreme Sausage Sandwich.
#6 Meat Lovers Breakfast Burrito (No Tortilla)
It’s hard to see in the picture but you get bacon, sausage, ham, scrambled eggs, pepper jack and cheddar cheese. Once the tortilla is removed, it’s very similar to the Loaded Breakfast Sandwich except with scrambled eggs instead of a fried egg patty.
- Price – $3.39
- Nutrition – About 490 calories and 1 net carb
- Taste – Average.
- Notes – Prefer the fried egg patty vs the scrambled eggs in this entree. This presents the least well of all the Jack In The Box low carb breakfast foods I tried.
Best low carb options at Jack in the Box
For lunch or dinner, get the bunless Double Jack cheeseburger. It has about 660 calories and 2 net carbs while scoring well on taste and ease of eating with your hands.
For breakfast, get the Extreme Sausage Sandwich. It has about 490 calories and 0 net carbs.
What you can order
As of writing this post, Jack In The Box had 11 different burgers and 2 different chicken sandwiches that can be ordered low carb / keto.
They also have about 20 different breakfast entrees that can be modified to fit a keto diet.
Download My Personal Jack In The box Menu
It should be the perfect resource if you’re looking for a Jack In The Box sugar free menu or a Jack In The Box diabetic menu.
My low carb menu is derived from my own online research where I tried to make sense of the Jack In The Box online menu and nutrition stats which were written in 3 point font and clearly not intended to be actually looked at.
In this case, my nutrition stats are only well-informed estimates because Jack In The Box does not make public the macros for their individual ingredients like buns & tortillas. In other words, don’t bet your life on them.
What you should avoid at Jack in the Box
In case you’re new to low carb eating, I’ll point out that you can’t eat any of the Jack In The Box buns, tortillas, tacos, desserts or fries.
Here’s the full list of tricky and tempting items to avoid.
Avoid these Sauces
- Barbecue Dipping Sauce – 10 net carbs
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce – 11 net carbs
- Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce – 11 net carbs
- Teriyaki Dipping Sauce – 11 net carbs
Avoid these Sides
- Stuffed Jalapenos – 20 net carbs
- Hashbrown – 15 net carbs
Avoid these Items with Fried Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Salad Crispy – 44 net carbs
- Chicken Nuggets 10+ pieces – 26+ net carbs
- Crispy Chicken Strips – 50 net carbs
- Crispy Chicken Club Salad – 31 net carbs
If you’re looking for a moderately low carb fast food fried chicken option, then check out my Chick-Fil-A low carb post.
My next low carb fast food guide is for Little Caesars which I’m hoping isn’t just another damn pizza place where I have to get wings or eat toppings only. Chances are slim. That’s why I keep putting it off.
If you want to get my Little Caesars low carb fast food guide via email, sign up here:
Enter your email above and I’ll send you one low carb fast food guide per week for all 30 top fast food chains in the US.
I’ll also report back with final results for how this fast food experiment affects my health, well-being, and bank account. And you’ll get some simple low carb recipes and other tips from me for all the times you’re not eating in a fast food joint.
29 thoughts on “How to Order Low Carb at Jack In the Box”
Did they look at you strange when you ordered “bun less”?
Haha. They didn’t really get the chance because I was in the drive-thru. Most fast food cashiers I’ve chatted with on this challenge and have been helpful / non-judgmental. These kinds of low carb orders at fast food joints are becoming more and more common which helps as well.
Hi, I went to jack and got 2 jr bacon cheese burgers. I asked no buns; lettuce wrapped. I forgot to say no ketchup though.
Anyways, I thought I would be low in carbs but I googled the information and I come up with 60 net carbs. Os it right? Jack’s site gives me close to 60net carbs but it’s the one with buns.
Do you happen to know which site is right and how many carbs I chugged? Pleeease!
Nothing to worry about! The buns have most of the carbs. If you ate them without the bun, you were only consuming 4g net carbs per burger and that includes the ketchup. Hope that helps!
Thx it does?
Bun-less ultimate cheeseburgers are awesome!
I ordered a bunless jumbo jack, wrapped in lettuce. Very neatly wrapped and was so yummy! Side orders of scrambled eggs and ham…fun to discover a new restaurant catering to low carb!!
Hi, thank u for ur research. Question, if I may? How many carbs in JACK IN THE BOX scrambled eggs ?
I never thought about ordering the breakfast burrito with no tortilla. Duh. A tip for all your readers. Don’t throw away the receipt. If you complete the survey, you can get the supreme sausage or the jumbo jack lettuce wrapped or without the bun for buy one get one free. The best deal going. The receipt is good for 7 days. You get a new receipt every time you make a purchase. Saves a bundle when you’re on the go or have a tight budget. Also, you can ask for a courtesy cup of water too.
In my experience, over half the JIB cashiers don’t know if they do lettuce wraps in place of buns, and I’ve been told “no” on a couple occasions. If you get a marginal English speaking cashier it can be a challenge even getting across what you want.
I generally get the Chicken Club Salad, one of the best low-carb fast food salads I’ve encountered. (Make sure to verify your order, because they will not infrequently try to give you a Chicken Club Sandwich by mistake.)
I ordered the bacon swiss bunless burger and had to send it back. My cheese was not melted, bacon was cold, it did not look like your picture. I may try again another time and a different jack in the box
Oh, and yes not only did they look at me strange i think they were trying to figure out how to put it together after i showed them your picture
Can we have the buttermilk ranch ???
Good question! It has about 2g of carbs per serving. You could sneak a bit 🙂 -MSP
I’m just starting the keto plan and find it difficult to eat with my schedule. But I came across your site which is excited me. I just stop by Jack in the box and had the extreme breakfast sandwich. It was edible but very salty. I wonder if the bond normally balances that out?
Where to get low carb fish sandwiches?
Take a peek Long John Silvers!
Google Long John Silvers Mr Skinny Pants and you’ll find my best low carb choices!
Hope it helps!
-Mr Skinny Pants
Awesome, I’m a manager at Jack, useful info
Is the Grilled Chicken Club (Sourdough) Ok?
You’d have to leave off the bread. With the bread it has 38g of carbs. That’s too high. You can see the macros for the sandwich here.
Great work, I am curious as to how fast food low carb is working fo you? Are you staying lean? Thank you!
Heck yes I am. It’s the carbs that are the killers for the most part 🙂
Thank you for the information! Question, are the tacos @ Jacks Keto friendly?
Thank you in advance
Unfortunately not. Each taco has about 16g of carbs. Two of them would be 32g which would not be good for Keto. I hope that helps!
Thank you for your reply. Just starting Keto?
Awesome! Welcome to the low carb lifestyle 🙂
Dude you are awesome! Just started Keto about a week ago and was dreading not being able to have fast food since Im always on the go and things need to be done “fast.” I am excited to keep following.
Thanks Ed! Good luck on your journey. Shoot me an email if you’ve got any questions! -MSP
I see someone asked about tacos above, but can we just eat the meat, cheese and lettuce etc. inside of the taco? No shell? Thanks!