This recipe turns out uber-tender & super versatile meat. You can have a meal of easy pulled pork and a side of veggies, or eat it as I did recently for lunch, in a lettuce wrap with mayo, pickles, and jalapenos.
You can put it in your slow cooker over night and let it cook while you sleep, OR make it in the morning and let it cook while you’re at work.
This is a skinny, healthy, low carb meal, but I’m calling it “Easy Pulled Pork” because it’s simplicity is even more impressive that it’s healthiness.
Easy Pulled Pork Recipe Information:
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Slow cook time: 8-10 hours
- Makes 8-12 servings
- One 4 pound to 6-pound boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (also known as pork butt), remove any twine, netting or packaging
- One yellow onion, sliced
- Salt & pepper
- Optional seasonings: Chili powder, cumin, cinnamon
Instructions for Easy Pulled Pork:
- First, Line the bottom of your slow cooker with a layer of sliced onion.
- Add your big ole hunk of pork to the slow cooker (no need to trim or rinse).
- Next, Liberally sprinkle on your salt & pepper on the visible / reachable portions of the meat. Optionally, sprinkle on additional chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon for flavor.
- Lastly, put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until fork tender.
We’ve got the meats!
For today’s Easy Pulled Pork meal, I bought a 6 pound package of boneless pork butt at HEB. It may have been labeled pork shoulder or pork roast. It looks huge in store, but cooks down to a manageable size in your slow cooker.
Next, any medium to large onion will do. Interestingly, I don’t eat the onions, they are just used as natural insulation on the bottom of the slow cooker, I think to prevent the roast from burning on the bottom. Onions might also add a bit of flavor & moisture, too.
For most of these recipes, I buy store brand spices. Happy cooking!
-Mr. Skinny Pants